Wednesday, May 18, 2011

The River

This is the first story of Jan's journey to Santiago de Compostella. He walks for a good reason: saving for a van for FSA Ethiopia!


Dear Co-walker,
I wasn't going to write you before I would start my pilgrimage. Here I am still in Granada, enjoying being a tourist. This morning I got up before dawn to be able to buy a ticket for the Alambra. I maverveled at the palaces constructed by the Moslim kings in the 13th – 15th century, What a craftmanship! Now I can start my pilgrimage tomorrow morning....
I however would like to send you the following before that:

13.05.11

Yesterday I decided to explore the other side of the river. La Buhaira is a small and quite simple palace of a moslim merchant. Nothing splendid to be seen but very stylish. He loved water of which there is enough, still flowing as abundantly now as then. From there I walked to the Plaza de Espagna with its neo-gothic buildings in half a circle around the square which is laid in intricately with small riverstones forming beautifully morish patterns. From the square till the river one crosses a well kept garden with extraordinary trees, shrub and flowers. Reaching the river I crossed it by the Isabel II bridge.
This river is the Guadalquivir, carrying its water from the East. In fact I will cross its waters again in Cordoba in 7 or 8 days time. This river took care of Sevilla in the old days and gave it the splendour it has now. Sailingships crossing the oceans came back home loaded with the most expensive goods from the Americas and Cuba, and Sevilla had a monopoly in trading these goods and so one was able to build the cathedral, the palaces , the alcazar..... there is no end to the glitter...

But times have changed. Other nations took over the worldly power and Brittain came to rule the waves. Land was added and Sevilla is not anymore a seaport. The waters in de river got less. But still it plays an important part in the life of the city because tourists sit on boats to see the city from there, one can hire a cano or a peddleboat. One sees strong men play canoball. How skillfully they handle their peddles to manouvre the ball. An abundance of cycleroads and pedestrian walking ways and patches of green grass on which young people sit and pass the waterpipe to one anothe.r One of the arches of the Isabel II bridge is used by a group of youngsters to enhance their moountaineering skills, sweating profusedly. This pilgrim was asked to show his skills. As an answer I showed my biceps to the man who invited me. “Nada”, he said, nothing! And so it is.... He couldn't have asked me 40 years ago....he wasn't born when I was young! Everything has its time.
Rivers change, people change. The Mimosa tree finished flowering, not so the Jacaranda and the oleander with all possible coulours, flowering in the same way as when the ships came in a long time ago, filled with goods from far away. Also the water flows still into the same direction as at that time. So it has to be because a human being needs reassuring facts, isn't it?

Before I leave you, I was asked to convey the following, my dear Co-walker.
If you want an acknowledgment of receipt for your sponsormoney for FSA Ethiopia (see my previous entry), please add your address when donating. Our administrator will take care that you get an acknowledgement.

This it was for now. I hope to be back to you with my first 'real' story of my pilgrimage in a week's time.
Till then, be well and enjoy,
says Jan, the pilgrim.

No comments:

Post a Comment